Sunday, July 28, 2013

Tomato and Burrata Baguette

upload
Spanish Bocadillos are one of Spain's greatest everyday culinary treats. In college I was able to spend a Summer eating my fill of all things Spanish.  A Bocadillo is really just a simple sandwich, not a lot of condiments or sauces.  Just really good ingredients.  Amazing, crusty, FRESH bread that has been rubbed with tomato and layered with salty ham or jamon serrano was my favorite version.  

upload 
Upon returning home from a trip to the country, you'll dream of eating one again.  You'll obsess.  You'll want to recreate your own Bocadillo, but living in Small Town USA, you'll find it impossible to come upon a crusty baguette and jamon iberico Maybe you won't, but that's what happened to me. 
Tomato and Burrata Open-faced Sandwich  
Unfortunately, I've misled you, this version isn't really a bocadillo at all.  It's just what appeared in my kitchen after the tomatoes in my mother-in-law's backyard (bless her heart) were ready to pop, the burrata (which I've never used before - whoa - try it NOW!!) at the market was calling my name and the baguette at the farmer's market was the highest quality I've found around here in a LONG time all came together into this lovely-ness I think is quite akin to a bocadillo.  The point is to just have really, really fresh ingredients in something so simple as this sandwich so that all the flavors shine. 

Printable Recipe Here

Tomato and Burrata Baguette
serves 2

1 tomato, sliced
1 ball of burrata or fresh mozzarella
half of a baguette
1 clove garlic, peeled, cut in half
3-4 leaves basil, cut chiffonade style
olive oil
S&P

Preheat broiler.  Heat large skillet over medium-high heat.  Cut baguette lengthwise. Cut in half.  Drizzle olive oil over cut side of bread.  Place into skillet, cut side down.  Toast for 3-5 minutes until turning golden brown.  Remove from skillet and  rub cut side of garlic unto hot bread.  Place sliced tomato on bread.  Season with salt and pepper.  Place cheese on top the tomato.  Season again with salt and pepper.  Place under broiler until melted, about 3 minutes.  Scatter basil over sandwiches.  Serve immediately.

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear all about your kitchen adventures! Xo, Becki