Thursday, August 1, 2013

Chocolate Pudding

Chocolate Pudding
Are you a mother of small children? Do your children devour pudding packaged in plastic cups with ingredients with the letter 'X' in them? Yeah? Me, too. But I loathe the idea of giving my kiddos hydrogenated oil of who-wha-where and maltodextrin-whaa-ja-say? Solution: Wholesome homemade pudding. Seriously yummy. Seriously simple. Oh, and you could easily put this in a baked pie shell, too!


Update (7/28/2015): I've been cooking pudding with raw milk so I thought I'd update this blog post from 2013 — one of my first blog posts! Isn't it fun to see how far my photography and food styling skills have evolved? In fact, because I've determinedly worked on this blog, I'm starting to see some tangible payoff! I submitted a photo to Minnesota Monthly on Twitter hoping to win tickets to their 2015 Fine Spirits Classic — and… I won! My husband and I now have a gratis date night. WHOOP! WHOOP! 
Chocolate Pudding

Update (7/28/2015): I made some changes to my original recipe by doubling the recipe (I need more pudding!), sifting the cornstarch and cocoa and running the final pudding through a fine-mesh strainer. Also, added a pinch of salt. 

Chocolate Pudding

Yield: 6 1/2 cup servings

4 tablespoons cocoa powder
4 tablespoons cornstarch
3/4 - 1 cup sugar (depending on your sweet tooth preference) 
4 cups whole milk
1 healthy pinch salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 tablespoons butter

Sift cocoa powder and cornstarch into a large heavy saucepan. Add sugar, milk, and salt, whisk to combine and set over moderate heat. Bring up to a bubble, stirring frequently. Cook until thickened to desired consistency, about 10 minutes. 

Stir in vanilla extract and butter when pudding has reached desired consistency. Pour through a fine-mesh sieve into a large bowl or other receptacle. Portion into individual serving dishes, or a large bowl. Refrigerate. Plastic wrap on the top of the pudding will prevent a film from forming, but it's really not necessary. Stores for up to 3 days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear all about your kitchen adventures! Xo, Becki