Friday, August 30, 2013

Crepe-Style Waffles

Eating waffles and pancakes at our house has become routine. I never thought I would be that mom. The routine pancake mom. Just kidding. There is no such thing as a routine pancake mom. Just a robot who lives inside of me. Kidding again. I never imagined just how much children can love pancakes. I'm personally more of a french toast gal. Crispy on the outside, moist and chewy on the inside. Don't get me wrong, my kids like french toast, but pancakes and waffles are on another level. So to prevent kitchen boredom I'm always mixing up some new pancake recipe. Like this one I found in a church cookbook from the seventies.
And in my quest to defeat kitchen boredom I find excitement in a waffle recipe that requires cottage cheese. Somebody slap me. I couldn't help it. For what seemed like a month, but no one keeps cottage cheese for a month and eats it, so I can't really admit that a whole week there was a carton of cottage cheese in the fridge staring at me every time I opened the door. It was not the brand I like (blue carton, please!), the brand I can't scarf down in two helpings, the brand that is tangy and not as creamy and salty as the brand I like. Nasty cottage cheese you must be disguised with sugar, flour and syrup!
But these waffles are not really sweet, they're more egg-y and very roll-able, just like crepes. That's why I'm calling them "crepe-style". Six eggs! And only 1/2 cup of flour!  Cottage cheese!! Say, what?!  I had to try the recipe to believe. If I had a way to scientifically know the nutritional content these waffles would rocket off the Richter scale in protein. And now I believe. Getting protein into a 2 year old is a full time job! Literally. So, with all that protein and egg and cheese, these waffles could be serious savory yumma-licious-ness. A possible bed for poached chicken and white sauce? I think so!
I'll confess, they were a little difficult coming off the waffle iron. One did stick and peeled off in 500 pieces. Not cool. Make sure to liberally coat your iron with butter or no-stick spray before you drop the batter. The batter would probably do really well as pancakes. I hope you try it and lemme know how it goes.
My waffle was fabulous with ligonberry jelly on top. The kids did maple syrup. What will you do?

Printable Recipe Here

Crepe Style Waffles
adapted from Recipes & Reflections Dassel Covenant Church Cookbook
makes 6 waffles

1 cup cottage cheese
6 eggs
1/2 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Blend all ingredients in a blender at high speed for one minute, or until combined thoroughly. Bake in hot waffle iron that has been brushed with butter or no-stick cooking spray. Serve with butter and syrup or jam.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear all about your kitchen adventures! Xo, Becki