Monday, August 19, 2013

Gazpacho

It's Monday -- the day I let my 2 year old zone out on the iPad all morning and the 5 year old take on the Star Wars Wii Empire. Umhmm, Mom of the Year Award. Back to the grind. But only for 3 more days because on Friday we're headed to Northern Wisconsin to go salmon fishing! Whoop. I guess the boat is wavy and vomit-inducing because the captain won't allow you on-board without taking Dramamine. OK. Just not the usual booze cruise I'm used to. Next Monday I'll need a vacation from my vacation. Next Monday I'll need a recipe like this Gazpacho recipe. One I can throw all ingredients into a blender, whiz, chill and have ready for supper after a mad session at the gym. A recipe my kids will eat. A recipe that my husband will eat. A recipe that says "go on with your bad self, girl."  Actually, this recipe is none of those things, but it is healthy!

Look at all that summer yumminess. Tomatoes, cukes, peppers, garlic, olive oil...simple. Fresh. Delish. Oh, and are you loving my blender? Me, too. We are best friends. 
See these croutons? That's how you use up croutons that have been sitting in your pantry since November. Bread that was meant for stuffing. But who buys 6 of everything when she's hosting Thanksgiving for 20? Me. 


Printable Recipe Here

Gazpacho
recipe adapted from Everyday Food
serves 2

1 small garlic clove
2 large tomatoes, cut into chunks
1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded, and chopped
1/2 bell pepper, chopped
1/2 teaspoon sherry vinegar
1/2 teaspoon red-wine vinegar
2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for bread and serving
kosher salt and ground peper
1/2 cup bread cubes
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder

In a blender or food processor that's running on high speed, drop garlic clove into feed tube. Next add tomatoes and puree until almost smooth. Add cucumber, bell pepper, vinegars, and oil and season with salt and pepper. Pulse until mostly smooth. Chill soup in the refrigerator 30 minutes (or up to 8 hours).

In a small nonstick skillet heat olive oil over medium heat, add bread cubes and garlic powder. Cook until slightly browned and crisp, about 6 minutes.

Serve chilled soup after adjusting seasoning and thin with water if necessary. Drizzle with olive oil and top with toasted bread.
 





No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear all about your kitchen adventures! Xo, Becki