Thursday, August 8, 2013

Monkey Muffins

Muffins are on my radar today. Muffins that are mini and incredibly easy and have a fun name. Monkey Muffins. I wonder how someone picked the name of these little morsels of deliciousness? Maybe because the people who eat them look and act like monkey's most of the time? Probably not.

Here is My Monkey that really liked the Monkey Muffins. He devoured them. And called them cookies. And ate 6 in one morning. So, yeah - he was kinda like a monkey.

I'm considering these a healthy-ish treat for my sweet babies because a) the recipe has peanut butter a.k.a. protein b) bananas c) the muffins you buy at the store are full of dung (not really, but you know what I mean) over processed and at home I can control the quality of the ingredients. And what kid doesn't need to grow up eating mini muffins with the word monkey in the title? I would love to know if anyone decides to swap out whole wheat flour for some of the white in this recipe. Making them a wee bit more healthy.
Look at those eggs. Bright yellow. The way eggs should be. 'Cuz they're from a chicken who lives in my county. On a real farm. Love it.

Oh! Look at that. Mini muffins. These were really good. Like little chocolate chip cookies, kinda. But more muffin-ey.
I'm sad their all gone. Cuz, you know, I'm on that Veggie Burger Fast I told you about yesterday. 


Monkey Muffins
recipe from Taste of Home, Breakfast & Brunch

Yield:  4 dozen

1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup cane sugar
2 eggs
1 cup mashed ripe bananas (2 bananas) 
2/3 cup peanut butter
1 tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
3/4 cup miniature semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350ºF.

In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the bananas, peanut butter, milk and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture just until moistened. Fold in chips.

Fill greased mini muffin tins three-fourths full. Bake at 350 14-16 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Repeat with remaining dough.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear all about your kitchen adventures! Xo, Becki