Monday, August 12, 2013

Zucchini Chocolate Chip Cookies

Zuchinni Chocolate Chip Cookie
I've discovered the trick to making soft, light and fluffy cookies. Cookies that don't flatten into pancakes. Cookies that aren't crispy, like crackers. Flat and crispy cookies are sooo not my style. Refrigerate the dough! Ta-da! Are you totally blown away? I know. Everyone's been doing it for centuries - OK, maybe not that long, but I'm a late-adopter.

Zuchinni Chocolate Chip Cookie
In yesterday's post I told you these muffins were considered a healthy-ish treat for my babies. Now we're really getting more healthy-ish. You wanna know why? These cookies have zuchinni! Yeah! No one can argue cookies with butter, sugar and flour aren't healthy when zucchini is in the dough! No one. Ever. Most new recipes I plan to make always get a tweak. Something I add. Some type of flavor adjustment. I do an Emeril. I kick it up a notch. BAM! Not these cookies. The recipe is perfect. Cannot be altered. It is flawless. (Side-note: after typing up my recipe and referring back to the actual recipe I have altered it. I have control issues. I heap my cinnamon and like my butter whipped - what can I say?) It's from the book Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver. Have you read it? Do yourselves a favor and read it. Now. Like Now. Go. Then make these cookies. And eat 6 after every meal.    Like me.

Zuchinni Chocolate Chip Cookie

Printable Recipe Here

Zucchini Chocolate Chip Cookies
recipe slightly adapted from Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver
makes about two dozen

1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup honey
1 egg, beaten
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup white flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 heaping teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 heaping teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup finely shredded zucchini (frozen shredded zucchini will work, if de-thawed and squeezed of excess moisture)
12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Whip butter in stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment until smooth and creamy, about 3 minutes. Add brown sugar and honey, whip 2 more minutes. Add egg and vanilla. Whip until combined, scraping down sides of the bowl if necessary. Add flours, baking soda, salt and spices. Blend into liquid mixture. Add zucchini and chips, gently fold in. Refrigerate dough for 30 minutes. Drop tablespoonfuls onto a greased baking sheet. Bake at 350, 10 minutes. Place dough in refrigerator between batches.

Zuchinni Chocolate Chip Cookie

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear all about your kitchen adventures! Xo, Becki